Causes of poverty in the district include the following:
• Poor infrastructure development e.g. roads, electricity, water e.t.c
• Low agricultural production due to land tenure problems
• Poor and undeveloped agricultural marketing
• Poor agro-industry base
• Vagaries of nature of droughts and flood e.g. the El niño phenomena
• Yearly droughts due to rainfall inadequacy particularly in Kinango and Samburu divisions
• High population dependency ratio.
To sum up, the rate of AIDS is also very high (33.2% of population is infected), therefore there is need to intensify awareness and to educate people in health matters.
Overpopulation has a direct impact on the basic needs such as water, food, health and education. This implies that efforts should be made to cater for this population increase and other economic constraints that come with it.